|A 9-week-old miniature mule foal presented to the Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital for acute blindness, ataxia, and depression following an overdose of an over-the-counter ivermectin-based de-worming medication.
Ophthalmic examination and electrodiagnostic evaluation eliminated outer retinal abnormalities as the primary cause of the bilateral blindness, implicating instead a central neurologic effect of the drug.
With symptomatic and supportive care, the foal recovered fully and regained its vision.
Source: Plummer, Caryn E., Kallberg, Maria E., Ollivier, Franck J., Brooks, Dennis E. & Gelatt, Kirk N. (2006): Suspected ivermectin toxicosis in a miniature mule foal causing blindness. In: Veterinary Ophthalmology 9 (1), 29-32.
Tell a friend
Send this article